Monday, January 15, 2007

Highlights of Bush appearance on 60 Minutes

-- Suggesting that, instead of criticizing the performance of the military, people should criticize him instead. "If the people want a scapegoat, they got one right here in me, cuz it's my decisions" [sic]. Wow, ok, thanks for the pointer--now we'll start criticizing Bush.

-- "I think the Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude."

-- "People are discouraged, they don't apprecia--they don't approve of where we are."

-- The reporter describes how, in the presidential helicopter, Bush points out "the Washington monument and other landmarks along Pennsylvania avenue."

-- Something I didn't know--Bush personally signs every letter informing families that they now have a corpse in the family--this in contradistinction to Lyndon Johnson, of whom it might reasonably have been asked if he did know how many were killed that day. On the other hand, I wonder what is going through his head, then, every morning while doing this.

-- Reporter: "You're not very popular, to be frank, in the country. Does that bother you?" Bush: "Not really."

-- "The minute we found out there weren't weapons of mass destruction, I was the first to tell the people so." This reminds me of that Onion headline, "Barry Bonds Did Steroids, Reports Everyone Who Has Ever Watched Baseball," with an accompanying photo of Barry Bonds under the words: "NO SHIT-- An Onion Special Report on Barry Bonds and Steroids." As Bush puts it, "I was as surprised as anybody that they didn't have them."

-- When he trots out the Domino Theory for the middle east, as if this were an original or credible idea.

-- Admits that the current instability in Iraq stems from "decisions." As in the sentence, "No doubt, decisions have made things unstable." This is a new tactic I would like to apply to all things that go poorly, as if "decisions" were an uncontrollable deus ex machina.

********************************
My characterization of mainstream politics, since I was probably 16, has been that of an unamusing fantasy which obnoxiously interferes with everyday life, and yet that some people mind-boggingly take seriously. To me, there is no reason why George Bush should be treated any differently than Hulk Hogan (PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM BEING IRONICAL)-- someone whose appearance on TV is good for nothing better than a highlight reel of idiotic pronouncements and a failure to understand that he is a joke.

The problem with American politics (here it comes) is that anyone takes it seriously--that all of the horrors perpetrated by the American military and those whom we support, all of the blunders, the lies, the shameless waste of money and lives in war, our endorsement of the worst regimes around the globe, rampant indulgence of Protestant doctrine, etc.--not that it all happens, but that it is "spun" and glossed over and defended and debated SO BADLY. Although Chomsky has written extensively about "thought control in Democratic societies," it is still mind-blowing to watch the rhetoric in action and see how inarticulate and bafflingly stupid it can be--which is to say, how amazing that this ever worked on us. This is the supreme accomplishment of thought control (although I'm sure someone else must have pointed this out)--that as a nation we could be led by, and re-elect, and quarrel with (but never overthrow or discredit) a moron like Bush.

To be plain: We have gotten the president we deserve. If this man was able to "deceive" us, how fucking stupid are we?

How stupid is the "politics" (I mean mainstream Washington-centric debates about what goes on on either side of "the aisle") which debates and rationalizes and researches and interrogates and votes on these discussions, as if on an equal footing? How tragic that we have put our military at his beck and call, and seem unable to effect a halt in the pouring of soldiers into Iraq? When I compared Bush to Hulk Hogan earlier, I wanted to stress how pathetic it is that any intelligent mind should "grapple" with Bush ideologically--any reasonable, dignified person would object to even be in the same room with this man--if I were a member of congress, I would resign in humiliation at the impotence of my office and the stupidity of it all.

BUT, it is not enough that this man is a joke, because of course he is a dangerous joke. On one hand, he shows that mechanisms of power function so incredibly well that "even" he could be president and, despite some bumpiness, get re-elected and continue to have credibility in the media/washington/the midwest. It is like that horrible movie where Kevin Klein mistakenly becomes president ("Dave": tagline, "In a country where anybody can become President, anybody just did."), only with less happy results.

So, what I want to suggest is:
1) The position of "holder of sovereign power" is empty, a null set.*
2) That of course Bush doesn't know this; hence his wild celebration of his apparent power.
3) That Bush, as the nadir of intelligence, dignity and charisma, is a sick joke we have inflicted upon ourselves to demonstrate point 1).
4) That any opposition which indulges in the fantasy I have been describing, is not worth its name.

(*--I find it extremely difficult to believe what (tellingly) many people want me to think, that Bush is a "madman" and that (as he would have us believe) he should be the scapegoat for all this. Doesn't it disturb you that the opposition and Bush are telling us the same thing---"Blame it on me, ignore all the history and all the drives and motives which have gotten us here?" It disturbs me.)

4 comments:

Ben Parker said...

Let me apologize to all readers for this post, which seems to have been written backwards and which ratchets up the political content and seriousness somewhat unexpectedly. Re-reading it just now, I find it hard to read. The main claims should be:

--OK, Bush is an idiot, duh, so why (recent unpopularity notwithstanding...or, even, recent unpopularity included) has political discourse in this country seemingly met its match and settled down to earnestly argue over his insane policies?

--And then to suggest, that what is amazing is that this idiot twice triumphed over the best that the opposition could throw at him. The reason these far more intelligent men lost (or at least lost my vote) was that they bothered to engage Bush AT ALL as an equal.

--And then to say, how thoroughly Bush demonstrates the smooth-running of imperial ambitions, the MIC, all kinds of violent and disturbing policies, with a Dunce (as good as no one) in the seat of power. The man is a political lightning rod, but we have to remember that lightning rods are an invention, and extremely useful.

anyways, if you are like me, you will not quite get my point until the end, which then back-illuminates the whole endeavor (the end-note clarifies the first blooper/quotation's real meaning).

Anonymous said...

-- Reporter: "You're not very popular, to be frank, in the country. Does that bother you?" Bush: "Not really."

I assume you're ridiculing Bush for this remark, and honestly I'm a little surprised since I seem to recall (I could be wrong) you being critical of the small-d democratic philosophy that this barb seems to assume.

As an avowed and extreme leftist I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Bush that America owes a great deal of support to the Iraqis (though I don't think his troop surge strategy will do much long-term good). Further, I am frankly sickened by democrats' constant invocation of quote unquote "public opinion" as their rationale for encouraging withdrawal from Iraq. Were they for "public opinion" when the public overwhelmingly supported the war at the beginning? Of course not (well, actually I guess they were, but you get my point)! So why act like they're populists now? Watching the news at night you can practically see the Democrats foaming at the mouth with lust for their new-found power. It really sickens me, and it makes me hope that all of the academics around here who supported the Democratic party whole-hog over the past few years are realizing what a shady, empty and ruthless group they've put their trust into.

Sorry, I know that isn't criticizing one of your main arguments, but I'm becoming increasingly cynical about the idea that a good leader should be completely beholden to the will of his or her constituents. The general idea of your post seems to be edging toward the idea of a meritocracy (a type of society that, obviously, would never elect W) but the above quote seems to come from a different place.

Ben Parker said...

I didn't have any "color commentary" about that remark, nor was I surprised by it (Bush constantly has cited his belief that he is doing God's will, so why should he care what we think?). But I did find it an odd remark for a politician to make on national tv.

I am critical of small-d democracy, the real existence and functioning of democracy in technologically advanced bourgeois societies, and I don't think there should be a democracy-by-gallup-poll, which we seem to be edging towards. Foremost I would like the processes by which our society and politics work to be unmasked, whereas now political discourse seems baffled by the existence of the Iraq War which we got but never asked for and now want to get out of but can't. If we treat this as just something to be baffled about, we won't get far.

I think what Bush is saying is closer to the Constitution than his opponents in congress believe--*they* are the representatives of changing public opinion; Bush does not have to be, and should act as a "check" our popular will. So I am not ridiculing Bush for saying this, but I think there is a LOT to be learned from it, as there will come a time when we elect another president and we will have to decide whether this disdain for our opinion is something we care about, or not.

Because, in the last account, I do not think it much matters whom we elect, I find it interesting that Bush has decided to return the favor--naturally this upsets everyone else, though.

Ben Parker said...

Yes, and of course, the Democrats are worthless and I have never voted for one. The reasons for which they will now amply demonstrate.