Thursday, April 12, 2007

Those fucking losers

Let me tell you a story about myself that I think will explain EVERYTHING.

The other day, I was downtown waiting for two friends to meet me outside of a restaurant. OK, so I am standing there, with my worries, watching people go by on this very busy street, checking everyone out but kind of spacing, too--and see one of my friends coming down the street, and in front of him are these two guys. They are basically, like, what you would call "skater dudes," but the NY hipster version: some kind of amazing-core hoodies, new era hats, girls jeans, and kind of puffy sneakers. But they were dressed exactly the same and not-at-all the same, simultaneously. Like, one of them was wearing a hoodie with a jacket over it, one of their jeans was flared a bit (bad choice), their hats were different, okay--but they were wearing THE SAME SHOES. Or, conspicuously close enough to the same shoes. And it made them look like they just didn't get it, or they had just raided Urban Outfitters. You could envision their bummed-out looks when they were pulling their new clothes out of their big Urb bags, and saying, "Dude! That's so rad!" up until they saw they had bought the same shoes.

So, I am trying to point this out to Spencer when he rolls up, but he didn't really see the guys, so I'm explaining this thing-only-I-could-care-about in this exaggerated way: "They looked like FOOLS!" etc, until Spencer interrupts me and says, "Ben, can I tell you something?" and points at the ground.

"WE are wearing the same shoes." (ie: black converse hi-top all stars).

4 comments:

KM said...

Is it the wearing all black thing that enables you both to "get" Men in Black references?

g. said...

I am still annoyed that you bought those high-top all white vans. THOSE ARE MY SHOES. AND ALSO TALYA'S SHOES. And really, who else do you hang out with?

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's a funny story, because you're a judgmental shitsack who treats even his friends like shit.

Ben Parker said...

So, I changed the formatting to allow me to disallow comments precisely like the one above ["That's a funny story, because you're a judgmental shitsack who treats even his friends like shit."] but how could I reject such a clueless and hateful remark?

Moreover, what does this post even have to do with the concept "friends"? The friend in the story is merely shocked at my self-righteous rant about some shoes, and certainly isn't being "treated" in any way.

Undoubtedly this comment is the work of some reactionary bourgeois and/or scorned would-be friend. (which amounts probably to the same thing).