Monday, August 14, 2006

who wants to see The Brink's Job tomorrow?

-- So, I switched over to the Scott-Moncrieff translation for volume 4 of Proust. I have heard some snobs complain about the title "Cities of the Plain" instead of the literal translation "Sodom and Gomorrah," but I dunno, I think "Cities of the Plain" is a beautiful title. Ironically, the Sturrock translation, while getting the title right, is clunky and hard to read. My french is not great, but I think he tried to stick too closely to the idiosyncracies of french (with redundant demonstrative pronouns, for example), and doesn't render the feel of the English language.
-- Also a beautiful title: a tiny subsection of vol. 4, not even a chapter really, is called The intermittencies of the heart.
--
Uh, so I am not a creative person. In NYC, a lot of people are turning commercial or warehouse space into living space, or starting their own businesses, or making films, or music, or are writers, or are doing their own design label, are freelancers of some sort... and I have a lot of respect for that, but it's not me. I will probably always live in a regular apartment in a regular part of town, I'm not a trailblazer/gentrifier. I am already on a "career path" that is long-established and, while maybe my work *within* academia will be interesting and new, the actual chart of my life looks pretty set right now. Which could be boring, I guess. I don't think I'm a boring person, so I'm not very worried, but you know. The other thing is that a main tenet of my beliefs is DIY, but the problem is that I don't "D" much. Maybe when school calms down, I can put out some records, but basically for the next few years I will be reading and writing constantly, probably not much else. On the other hand, that is what I am interested in-- it is largely a personality thing, since I have never been good at art or music, and can't write fiction or poetry. I guess I'm not complaining; I like what I'm good at, and I've enjoyed reading other people's criticism, but sometimes I wish I was more creative with either my life or my productivity.
-- Bad mood: week 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your baseball poems are good.