Thursday, July 20, 2006

the inevitable "fat kid" comparison

-- someone in my french class today coined the phrase "not to pull a Ben" to preface making a snarky and pedantic comment about semantics/conceits/mixed metaphors. THANKS GUY. i haven't even started the program yet, and already my name is synonymous with asking time-consuming, off-topic questions.
-- i know you guys think that we hang out because we enjoy each other's company, and that's all well and good, but from now on an extra dimension will be in playing the game: Did I Just Flirt with That Person and its counterpart Were You Just Flirting with that Person?
-- what is behind my undissuadable tendency to make analogies about "the fat kid" and his analogous tribulations? perhaps, that i am thinking like a book. and this book is prone to homeric similes like WHAT. (cf: Milton, Proust, Tolstoy, Homer, who are to analogies what Gary Larson is to fat kids)
-- please enjoy this brief lull between my reading The Guermantes Way and Cities of the Plain (née Sodom and Gomorrah). i will still reference Proust, but more in a general, relative way than in my patented I-wasn't-even-listening-to-you-because-I-was-thinking-about-Marcel way.
-- today, because my mouth was already open (yeah, when isn't it?, har har) talking to Talya, this girl walked out of the public library and mid-sentence I just gawped "WHAAAT?" while she was like a yard away, because she was wearing lime green hotpants and a tank-top and pretty much nothing else. If I had not been talking at the time, I imagine this would have been solely mental. Talya suggested I could find her again at any MisShapes party.
-- the stupid village voice has such a crush on MisShapes and Brooklyn lofts, it is so embarassing. i mean, the voice is usually embarassing, but they should change their address to myspace.com/soooolastyear
-- girls: why do they make them so TALL? (the answer may involve hotpants)
-- the new Fucked Up is really good, i hope you guys all got it
-- and, also related to Fucked Up, I'm sure I'm the last person to know about Henry Darger, but if you haven't, please do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

henry darger? you obviously have never visited www.myspace.com/sooooolastyear.

q

Ben Parker said...

you know it's bad when Natalie Merchant is onto something 5 years before you are