Thursday, July 13, 2006

Proust:
-- Although I have probably spent more time with Proust (days on end) than 90% of my friends, I'm not really sure that I would want to "hang out" with Proust, or even that I "like" him.
-- Although I think Proust is undoubtedly the greatest writer of the century, I am in *constant* fear that he will write about something embarassing or make a really bone-headed analogy. Like, I have zero confidence in him.

Language:
-- Talya's old roommates had a Fugazi poster in their kitchen, and at the bottom was one line of lyrics from each song on the album (ex:"I'm not your reason to crack and divide," "Sugar made it easy, ice made it cold," "I'm not waiting around for the kiss-off.") Every line was totally embarassing, because essentially they were all in this emo-lyric speech that I recently noticed had been transported to myspace, only now more thugged-out. It's basically the same, but with all these vague threats and "bitches" scattered throughout. This girl I knew in high school changed her email to "breakingheartsbreakingnecks@____.com" and besides being unacceptably clumsy as a working email address, this is a perfect example of this maddening vibe people have found as the new ideal.
-- There is an equally obnoxious (but less violent) twee version of this language, too.
-- The best example of any of this is any lyrics inciting or discussing "dancing."

Like:
"candle wax and dried up flowers; everyone was dancing" (goth; this is an actual lyric)
"dance dance dance dance to the radio" (post-punk; this is an actual lyric)
"dance dance dance we're falling apart to half time" (pop-punk; this is an actual lyric)
"dance to the sound of america's best-dressed fakeout" (screamo; this is an actual lyric)

or:
(these are ALL song titles by a band called Panic! At the Disco) (disco=dancing? get it?)

"nails for breakfast, tacks for snacks" (tough!)
"lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" (misogyny! tough!)
"time to dance" (hahahaha)

I guess the easiest solution is not to wear the Che hat or a white belt, and instantly you will feel the desire to 'dance' (or to sing about it) slipping away; maybe I'm too widely read to feel that the trope of "dance dance revolution" is still fresh, but I am frankly surprised at everyone's tolerance and continued ecstatic embrace of such stale tropes. I guess my point is just, "why are people so lame?", but gosh...why ARE they?

Like...ugh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then there's this:

http://busdriver3030.shackspace.com/pics/youralive-lol.jpg

Ben Parker said...

isn't that a goo-goo dolls lyric?!

Anonymous said...

haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door? NO!

Anonymous said...

"eating people even foreigners is wrong. let's twist, let's twist, let's twist the truth away."

Anonymous said...

i'm into any song where booty is involved, booty shakin' being paramount to the best experience possible.