Sunday, July 09, 2006

something for you to do at work

Hi. We'll see how this works out.

Has anyone been to my apartment? Every day, I come across some new aspect of my roommates' bafflingly "bachelor-esque" lifestyle, and because I don't actually speak to these people, most of my anthropological investigations of my roommates are mediated by the groceries they buy. However, I can safely say: one of them definitely subscribes to GQ, which he kindly leaves in the bathroom. The weird thing about this is, and correct me if I'm wrong, but GQ is one of the few men's magazines that has not gone the FHM/Stuff/Maxim route, and *is* primarily interviews and male fashion and cologne sample-strips. Right? This issue has Will Ferrel on the cover, but I think every other issue from the past two years has had Barack Obama on the cover.

So, aside from their literature of choice, the main characteristics of my roommates is that they seem constitutionally unable to combine foods on their own. Unless one of them has a toddler stowed away in his room somewhere, WHY IS THERE CHOCOLATE MILK IN THE FRIDGE? Even worse, but almost endearing, is the peanut-butter-and-jelly-in-one-jar "Goobers" in the fridge. Or the $18 worth of bulk Gatorade sitting on the coffee table. Or the lifetime supply of Ritz Crackers and canned tuna fish in the pantry.

Ben, why are you hatin' on Chocolate milk so much? I thought you were all about "preschoolin," whatever that is?--- I hear ya, but the stupid thing about Chocolate milk is, if for some sick reason, you want to drink a nice tall glass of milk without getting acne, you're shit out of luck. You can't put it in your coffee, or cereal (unless you are gross)---- but if you have regular milk, and Bosco/Quix/Hershey, etc, you can CONJURE UP THIS DELICACY at any time, without putting yourself out in any way. Fuck, I mean, I wouldn't personally do this to myself, but there's even Ovaltine--- and you know you're in a bad way if *Ovaltine* is a step on the way to adulthood and responsible grocery-buying. Anyways, thanks for making me feel like I'm more of a normal person than you freaks, dudes. That's not an everyday.

Highlights of today:
--saying "I want to get into jazz because I want my music to be more dialectical" and not getting made fun of
--my idea for a Lacan "S/s" tattoo getting vetoed by Si
--watching two girls outside of a vintage store on Ludlow play with their own hair for like, an hour--- if this is NOT what "avant garde cinema" is, I don't wanna know about it.
--re-reading the Meth information pamphlet I took from the Barnard anti-substance-abuse display; move over, Henry James!
--now that I am doing a blog, Matt Smith has to do one called "Stage Potato" or something equally brilliant

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

brilliant! --mn

Anonymous said...

a regular read, to be added to my favorites bar indeed.