Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I realize a lot of things can be reduced to unenlightening truisms or platitudes, or disposable "advice" such as, "mean what you say, and say what you mean." On the other hand, taken to heart, that is probably the most important advice you will get today (and I am giving you this bit of advice).

In class today, someone said the word "equates" when they meant "relates" or "indicates" or "reflects", etc. This is an innocent enough mistake. It is hard to think of the right words, so we rush past the exact right one, to make our larger point. As baffling as Derrida has been, this has been the lesson I (and now you) can learn from it: mean what it is that you are saying. Say what it is that you mean. There, you have one of the most terrifyingly difficult French philosophers, brutally summarized, and in a perfectly useless way. Surely this example ("equates" instead of "indicates") has not hit home with you.

This post is an attack on laziness. On linguistic laziness (now), on laziness in thought, and (finally) laziness in identity. I am not arguing for a humorless "sincerity", nor do I have my mother's professed opposition to people "being fake" (because there is no true self, DUH). But I think it is worth thinking through the difference between "equates" and "relates", if what you mean to say is the second one. Let's be rigorous. For one thing, *I* do not want to be summarized incorrectly (see a few posts back) as having "equated" something, when I only "related" something. This is a terror I have. I am a decent enough writer, I can stop and start over a sentence if it is not going well, if I realize that I am going to have to fudge a verb or a metaphor or a preposition. In a blog, in conversation, often enough I'll just leave it sloppy, so that my meaning is clear, though it comes out as badly written. This is especially true when you are setting up binaries, which is a common rhetorical approach (parallelism and contrast), but halfway through the sentence you realize this isn't a real opposition, or your metaphor is wrong, or you even chose the wrong first word ("although" when you really mean "regardless")--- this is all a sort of rhetorical autopilot.

What this leads to, in large enough quantities, is an imprecision that makes what we are saying nonsense. I think this is a) too obvious, and b) too hysterical a point to dwell on here. What I would like to talk about instead is the laziness, not of ideology or politics, but of people's self-formation. I was lecturing someone about this earlier, in the context of people's internet profiles, which are a really good and a really bad way to form opinions about someone. Good, because how people represent themselves is important. Bad, because people almost always represent themselves poorly.

What I cannot stand is people COMMITTED to ironizing, delaying, obscuring, and creating a nearly-universal language of avoidance, in these forums. I think we are all familiar with a hipster dialect of mystical animal/improbable verb to construct a record title or internet handle. This may also include adjectives like "awesome" or questionable signifiers like "AIDS".
So, "AIDS Wolf" is a band, but also "Awesome Color" and "Japanther". Presumably all of this will sound incredibly dated in a few years, just as the two words "Surrealistic" and "Pillow" now clearly reek of a precisely-dateable pretension. On the other hand, at least you know what you are getting ("surrealistic" might as well say "psychadelic").

Here, as a counter-example, I would cite my two of my own internet "names": "Misfits Fan" (my email) and "S/s", my name on myspace. The Misfits are my favorite band, and S/s (signifier determines subject) is probably the most important concept in philosophy for me, and a key part of my favorite book In Search of Lost Time. Nuff said. I mean these things. "Japanther" means nothing. And also, fair enough--it doesn't have to. We're all postmodern here, right?

My contention would be that, yes, we are all being postmodern here. There is irony in "misfits fan" (it makes me sound like a 15 year old), and in "S/s" (what the fuck does it mean?), but at the same time, these are two VERY important things to me, rendered as if they were just floating signifiers. They aren't. But I am pretending that they are, since I am using them to "name" me. So, for me, I would say, this is my huge critique of the Hipster: get a self. Stay with it. Play with it, by all means. Have fun. Use language and images and signifiers, as freely as you like. But at the end of the day, MEAN something. You don't have to "stand for something"; I am not being political here. Be a person. Consolidate your objects and your desires into something that goes beyond evasion and posturing. I have an idea of what it is like to mature and to get into new things; this doesn't have to be everyone's. I do not ask anyone to be twee and wear their hearts on their sleeves, or to be humorless, or worst of all to be ME, but more's the pity if you turn 30 and you realize you have merely been rotating your self out on a 6-month schedule.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Choosing a name that is a reference -- a clear and non-loaded reference -- doesn't seem like a way to go about presenting the self. Unless it is meant to indicate you do not have a self outside of relation to someone else's self (the Misfits, Derrida, Proust, &c.).

The titles chosen by those bands would fall into either of two categories:

1. They are truly nonsensical, in which case they do not define the band/person in relation to something/someone else.

2. They are a reference to hipster culture.

In the first case, the band is doing a pretty good job of representing their self. They are making music, being creative in a way that presents something that comes from the self. (Especially since none of the bands mentioned, good or bad, are attempting to cash in on hipster culture; or at least are doing so poor a job at cashing in, that one assumes they are not.)

In the second case, their reference is pretty obvious and in the end goes back to a source with no reference (that is the first band/identity to assume the nonsense pose). It is really no different from proclaiming a love for the Misfits or obtuse literary theory.

This all goes to say, one can't really level the charge that hipster bands are not meaning what they say. I go so far to say, as well, that most hipsters mean what they say (though just don't understand what they say). And pretty much everyone fails at saying what they mean.

Ben Parker said...

In carrying on the point of this post, let's examine what you are putting forth here.

1. A reference "indicates you do not have a self outside of relation to someone else's self." This seems faulty to me. I think the furthest we can go in this direction is this statement: that it indicates A relation, rather than indicating "no self outside". To reference something is to say, I relate to this, I am pointing to this. Not I am this. Let's not be naive.

2. You seem to be claiming that the self can produce "nonsense". This I do not agree with. Moreover, that nonsense, while it can be an expression, is of limited use in expression.

3. I think I may not have expressed myself well. AIDS Wolf is not a reference TO something. It may not be "nonsensical" (although your comments here confuse me, too), but it is not a "clear and non-loaded" reference to hipster culture either. Maybe we do not mean the same thing by "hipster." I certainly do not find AIDS Wolf to fall into either of the categories you put up. It is not "nonsense" because it falls into a predictable type of language--there are lots of bands with names like this. And it is not a reference to hipster culture except, again, to this lingo.

Ben Parker said...

as far as this:
This all goes to say, one can't really level the charge that hipster bands are not meaning what they say.

I guess what irks me is that, maybe you are right, I can't say that. There is such a defensive circularity to your description of hipsterism (and to hipsterism itself), that it really resists saying "OH this is just surface, this doesn't mean anything." It is of course the ultimate pose: if you ASK what the meaning is, you must not GET it. I am trying to say, let's not ask for meaning, let's ask for a reference. This will get us where we need to be (an identity) much faster.

Anonymous said...

My friend at work commented the other day that the word "awesome" functions in this milieu as a kind of "language of avoidance;" rather than saying "i like this," "i embrace this ironically," or "this sucks but i'll say it's awesome because i think i should," or "i do NOT think this is actually awesome at all," you presume that the person you're speaking to will gauge your hipness and interpret your "awesome" accordingly. (that probably sort of misrepresented what this kid said but, whatever).
also, it's been said before but whatever, but the way we (our generation i guess) use "like" as a stutter is sort of the ultimate evasion of precise language.

Anonymous said...

3 things:
1.what's up with people freaking out about calling people "hipsters?" (i find people here flipping out about it all the time) i don't think it's "problematic" anymore than calling other people "normals" or "hippies." (that has nothing to do with much, but i just wanted to say)
2. i have had to explain to a number of people, since moving to sf, what the word twee means. wtf?
3. AIDS Rainbow is playing a show in oakland soon.