Friday, October 06, 2006

It is very distressing to me that this great achievement of Western Civilization, representative democracy, which gives the US the moral superiority to battle for freedom against "Islamofascists" worldwide, and in the name of which our civil liberties have been foreclosed, comes down to WHAT EXACTLY?
-- the Democrats now stand a good chance of winning back one of the chambers of legislature, because some Republican sent creepy, sexual-predator emails to boys.

Is anyone happy about this? Sadly, yes. All the Anybody-But-Bush people of 2004, whose candidate pretended not to be able to speak French in order to get elected (which shockingly did not work), now see this as a perfect moment to win political influence by trading on a sexual scandal and alleged cover up.

Now, I thought this was inappropriate in the case of Clinton, and I find it inappropriate now.
1) There is a really unpleasant flavor of homophobia to the whole thing.
2) Undoubtedly this happens with female pages/interns/etc. all the time as well
3) We elect these retards to VOTE IN OUR NAME. On which this has no bearing.
4) Given all that the Republicans have done in the past 14 years in Congress, this is a pretty fucking weak reason to finally overthrow them.

Now, I care about as much about what happens in Washington as I do about which channel of NFL commentators I watch on Sunday mornings (very little, but I have my preferences). That these 400 or so retards, almost uniformly white, Christian, and bourgeois, mostly male, make some claim at running our country, while really just waiting around for lascivious instant-messenger conversations to come across their desk to a) make a scandal or b) cover it up, is so pathetic. This is really even a step down from when Al Gore tried to get elected Leader of the Free World by wearing more earth-tones.

Anyways, if I ever hear anyone talk about our national democracy again, excuse me if I vomit.

No comments: